The Brighton & Hove Food Partnership's Community Kitchen is a cookery school where everyone can cook, learn new skills and enjoy food with others. We want everyone to experience the benefits of cooking and eating together. By paying for a cookery class, you help other people to attend cookery activities, regardless of finance, confidence or ability, and to make lasting changes to their lives.
Experienced pastry chef Charlotte Fuller will encourage you to express yourself artistically as she reveals advanced techniques for piping and cake decorating to help you create a show-stopping vintage-style cake. We will provide a pre-baked sponge so you can focus on getting creative.
Learn key skills and professional techniques including:
- How to achieve a sharp finish when covering your sponge in buttercream
- Advanced piping skills, using a range of different piping nozzles, and how to practice your techniques before using them on the finished cake
- Professional tips for creating the hugely popular retro and vintage cake styles
- Tips on choosing harmonious colour palettes
- How to make swiss meringue buttercream – the professionals choice of buttercream which takes your cake decorating to the next level
Charlotte will demonstrate the key skills but is happy to help with any ideas you have - feel free to bring photos for inspiration!
Dietary information: The bakes in this class include gluten, eggs and dairy but can be adapted for gluten-free diets, this must be specified when booking. Please note we cannot guarantee the kitchen is a fully gluten-free environment. For any other allergies or dietary requirements, please contact us to discuss before booking.
"Good balance between doing and demonstrating." "I really liked Charlotte!! She is a great teacher - makes everyone feel very relaxed and always on hand with help and tips." "Enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere, great event" "Feel more confident, will try more styles of decorating."
What previous participants said
Date & Time
Tue, Feb 6, 2024 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm