The Johnson-Humrickhouse Museum opened to the public on May 8, 1931. Its collections originate from a bequest by Coshocton natives David M. and John H. Johnson to the city of Coshocton as a memorial to their Johnson and Humrickhouse ancestors. These native-born brothers settled on the West Coast and traveled abroad where they collected American Indian, European, and Asian artifacts. Their primary collections consisted of American Indian baskets and beadwork; Asian fine and decorative arts and weaponry; and European and American ceramics, glassware, and textiles. JHM's collections have grown through donations, primarily in areas of local history and pre-historic Ohio Indian tools and points.
Our mission is to inspire creativity, the love of learning, and an appreciation of diverse cultures and local heritage. Towards this end, the museum preserves and interprets its cross-cultural collections and presents complementary exhibits and programs.