Interested in getting into kayaking but not sure where to start? We've got you covered.
Each Saturday at 1pm, we offer a 30-minute Intro to Kayaking Clinic that will cover all the basics for you to feel more confident on the water. The clinic will last no more than 30 minutes and include land and water-based instruction on the South Fork River that will introduce you to the fundamentals of kayaking in a comfortable setting and at a relaxed pace. You will learn about proper strokes and paddling technique and get the chance to practice these new skills before the kayak instructor leaves you to enjoy the rest of your paddle.
After the clinic, the instructor will send you on your way to explore the water through the Town of Cramerton at your own pace for 90-minutes before taking out where you launched. Cramerton is a small, charming town where you can enjoy a cup of coffee, ice cream or a meal and stroll the main square, walk across the river's bridge to Goat Island Park or even explore one of there greenways.
This kayaking lesson and paddling experience is great for first time paddlers or families with children at least 8 years of age.
- 30-minute lesson plus another 90 minutes of self-guided paddling time
- Single sit-on-top kayak
- PFD (personal floatation device)
- Kayak instructor
- Must be 18 years of age to purchase tickets.
- Must be 8 years of age to participate with an adult in another kayak.
Deadline to Purchase Tickets:
You must purchase tickets by 10pm each Thursday for the Saturday or Sunday trip. If your desired date is closed, please contact Blue Heron Adventures at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 980-251-7898 to check availability.
Our policy is to host this program rain or shine EXCEPT in the case of severe rain, thunderstorms or lightning in the area as well as dangerous water level. If we have to cancel an event due to weather, we will provide a refund to all ticketed guests. We will do our best to notify guests of cancellations at least 2 hours in advance.
We look forward to having you on the South Fork River for your Slow Flow Kayak Tour this weekend!
Please read the following to help prepare for a great time on the water!
- Meeting and parking location: South Fork McAdenville Greenway and Blueway Launch - 501 Lakeview Drive, McAdenville, NC 28101.
- Please arrive 15 minutes early to check in and prepare for your trip.
- A Catawba River staff member will help get you prepared with equipment, gear, water safety and basic paddling information on land. If you chose to add on a kayak guide, they will continue the instruction on the water.
- You WILL get wet. Dress accordingly.
- You may bring a towel and change of clothes to keep in your car.
- We recommend shoes with a heel strap (to avoid donating your shoes to the river).
- Anything that you want to keep dry, store safely away in your car or in a dry bag.
- Sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat are recommended.
- When you are ready, the kayak technician in Cramerton will call for the shuttle to take you from Cramerton to McAdenville.
- Please bring a full reusable water bottle to stay hydrated!
If you have questions or need to change your order, please contact Catawba Riverkeeper's Program Director Vanessa Covington at email@example.com or 704-679-9494 x111.
For the river,
Our policy is to host this tour trip rain or shine EXCEPT in the case of severe rain, thunderstorms or lightning in the area as well as dangerous water level. If we have to cancel an event due to weather, we will provide a refund to all ticketed guests. We will do our best to notify guests of cancellations at least 2 hours in advance.
You may cancel your ticket up to 24 hours before your scheduled date for a full refund. If we must cancel due to weather or water level, your ticket will be fully refunded that day and you will see the refund 3-5 business days after the refund is submitted.