We inspire cooks one class at a time
What You Will Learn
What's better than a vigorous discussion of an amazing foodie book paired with great food and wine? If you love all of those things, you'll want to be a part of our culinary book club - Literary Bites. In partnership with Calvert Libary and librarian Faye Kepner, we'll read and discuss Ruth Reichl's New York Times Bestselling work - Delicious!
Billie Breslin has traveled far from her California home to take a job at Delicious, the most iconic food magazine in New York and, thus, the world. When the publication is suddenly shut down, the colorful staff, who have become an extended family for Billie, must pick up their lives and move on. Not Billie, though. She is offered a new job: Staying behind in the magazine's deserted downtown mansion offices to uphold the "Delicious Guarantee" - a public relations hotline for complaints and recipe inquiries - until further notice. What she doesn't know is that this boring, lonely job will be the portal to a life-changing discovery.
Delicious! carries the listener to the colourful world of downtown New York restaurateurs and artisanal purveyors. And from the lively food shop in Little Italy where Billie works on weekends to a hidden room in the magazine's library where she discovers the letters of Lulu Swan, a plucky 12-year-old, who wrote to the legendary chef James Beard during World War II. Lulu's letters lead Billie to a deeper understanding of history (and the history of food), but most important, Lulu's courage in the face of loss inspires Billie to come to terms with her own issues - the panic attacks that occur every time she even thinks about cooking, the truth about the big sister she adored, and her ability to open her heart to love.
- Meatballs with Tomato Basil Sauce
- Billie's Gingerbread
What To Expect
Join our roundtable discussion for this month's book, share your thoughts in a mindful manner, and contribute to the conversation.
- Instructor: Chef Bonnie
- Length: Approximately 2 hours
- Format: Experience. Everyone in the class will be able to enjoy the menu items made while discussing this month's book.
- Restrictions: Ages 16 and older. Students under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a paying adult.
All students will receive 10% off any scheduled public class(es) purchased that evening.
- General Admission: Arrive up to one hour before the start of class.
- Premium Experience: Arrive up to one hour before the start of class and enjoy a seasonal appetizer as well as your choice of a glass of beer, wine, soft drink, or water. Also spend a few private minutes with our chef instructor!
- Virtual Log In: Receive a link to view the discussion virtually live from anywhere.
- Happy Hour: Our bar will be open for Happy Hour one hour before the start of class. Your first drink will be 25% off!
- Allergies: We will attempt to accommodate any true medical allergy with advance notice. Please indicate allergies when completing ticket purchase.
- Allergy Restrictions:
Date & Time
Thu, Jan 25, 2024 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM