The Brighton & Hove Food Partnership's Community Kitchen is a cookery school where everyone can cook, learn new skills and enjoy food with others. We want everyone to experience the benefits of cooking and eating together. By paying for a cookery class, you help other people to attend cookery activities, regardless of finance, confidence or ability, and to make lasting changes to their lives.
This is a special, fundraising event and Xav is donating his time to help raise funds for our community cookery groups. Thank you all for your support.
Discover the secret behind classic dishes on this fabulous trip down Mexico way with Xavier Buendia (best known for his food photography with top restaurants in Brighton and further afield).
His childhood memories are the inspiration for this Masterclass dedicated to home-style Mexican food. Rest assured that former chef Xav has designed his recipes using readily-available ingredients so you can recreate all the dishes you learn to master at home.
Your Mexican feast for the evening will typically include:
- Lamb Birria - a richly flavoured, slow-cooked stew originating in the Jalisco region, which was traditionally served at celebratory occasions, and is now well-known as a delicious filling for tacos, quesadillas and even ramen bowls. We will source our lamb for the class through our Sussex Grazed meat box project.
- A range of flavourful salsas, with tips and techniques that will take your salsa game to the next level
- Homemade refried beans
- Quesadillas - we'll finish by combining the slow-cooked birria with melted cheese and tortillas. These quesadillas are best enjoyed lightly dipped into the broth from your stew, alongside our sides and salsas.
* Dietary information: The menu for this class can be adapted for gluten-free diets, but this must be specified when booking. Please note we cannot guarantee the kitchen is a fully gluten-free environment. For any other allergies or dietary requirements, please contact us to discuss before booking.
Tickets for this event include:
- professional cookery tuition
- all ingredients and equipment
- hot drinks throughout the session - you are welcome to bring your own drinks to enjoy with the meal if you wish
- a full meal to enjoy at the end of the class in our dining area (or to be boxed and taken away to enjoy at home)
- all recipes from the class.
Any profits raised from this class support our community cookery activities – where everyone can experience the benefits of cooking and eating together, regardless of finance, confidence or ability.
"Excellent class, lots of useful tips. Will make my salsa Mexican style now." "Great atmosphere. Well planned and executed. Great food." "I liked all of it, keep up the good work!"
What previous participants said
Xav's background is a beautiful mix of Mexican and Catalan, his parents and grandparents introduced him to all sorts of wonderful food from an early age and later he learned the importance of food and its heavy influence in both cultures. This led to a career in the catering industry on graduating from culinary school, working as a chef for a while and then becoming a sommelier. He worked in fine dining venues for over 10 years in Europe and America until he decided to move on and commit to his photography. His speciality is food photography for the food and drinks industry and portraiture for lifestyle and fashion brands and editorials.
Date & Time
Thu, Mar 7, 2024 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm