The Theatre Arts Guild is proud to be the country’s oldest community theatre with a record of continuous operation. The Guild was founded in 1931 (through a merger of the Little Theatre Movement and the Halifax Dramatic and Musical Club), and has presented entertainment each year since then.
“The Dover Road,” by A.A. Milne was the group’s first production in May of 1931, and was given at the Garrick Theatre (the present Neptune Theatre), since the group did not have a permanent home. “Dover Road” was repeated for TAG’s 60th Anniversary in 1991.
Over the years, the Guild has had several homes and performed in many venues, including the Capitol Theatre, the former College Street School, and the gymnasium of HMCS Scotian and St. Patrick’s High School. In 1966 however, the Guild acquired a former church hall at 6 Parkhill Road and this property, renamed The Pond Playhouse, has been its home ever since.
Find more Theatre Arts Guild Events